Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Emma-isms

The Fun things Emma says (at least the ones we've documented)

Most of these have dates, but the ones that don't are when she was probably 3 or 4...when she was learning to talk, read, write, etc. For reference on dates: she was born 5/18/99.


§ Note from Emma, actual spelling of words: I love you mama beekas you aer my mama.

§ A post it note with a globe and a sun: “The erth is tiny ckumpared to the sun.” p.s. I found the picture of this one! Here it is:


§ Not sure when this was, but sometime in early 2004 I think. Emma was saying her prayers and she had recently had a cough. We had talked about how sometimes when you're sick it makes you stronger so you don't get even more sick later. She prayed, "thank you for my cough that makes me strong so I can carry my desk or something."

§ Dec. 30, 2004: Emma asked me, "Mama, does Santa know us?" and I said "what do you think?" She replied, "yes...but if he knows us, then why did he put chocolate in Rachel's stocking?" (she knew Rachel shouldn't have stuff with milk in it)

§ Brian told Emma, “I’m pooped.” Emma said “daddy, what does “pooped” mean?” Brian told her it meant that you’re tired, and Emma said, “daddy, you should just say ‘tired’.”

§ 3/16/04 When asking Rachel to play outside with her: “Rachel, let’s play Toy Story! You be scud the dog, and I’ll be Sid, the happy child.” (There's a line in the movie where Buz says “what, that happy child?”)

§ October 2003: Riding in the car, Emma was singing the wise man/foolish man song. In the middle of the song, she stopped mid-sentence and said, “Rachel, rain is water dripping from God.” And then she continued singing where she left off.

§ 1/26/03 at Bennett’s house for superbowl: Emma, after pulling out all the dress up clothes and half-clothed herself: “Abby said a bad word to me.” When I asked her what it was, she said “she told me to CLEAN UP.”

§ 10/22/02 Emma walked into my room all dressed up, and when I saw her I said, "You're beautiful!" She said, "I know." I said, "Sweety, if someone says you're beautiful, you need to say thank you." So she said "Thank you, I know I'm beautiful." A few minutes later, she asked "Mama, can this beauty-ful girl have some lipstick?" And then later, “Can this pretty girl have a drink?”

§ 10-18-02: Emma's tummy kind of didn't feel good so she said she was sick. I told her if she was sick, she'd have to lay in her bed all day. She said "I'm not sick anymore. I went to the doctor yesterday and he checked my feelings."

§ Same day: I turned up the music in the car, and Emma told me to turn it down: "Mama, when it's louder it makes me yawn! I don't want to be yawned!"

§ 10/15/02 Another Emma Dialogue: At dinner one night, after Emma had been playing with glitter glue earlier that day (and I had been helping her), I said, "Oh, great. I've got glitter on my shirt." Emma said "I didn't do it." I said, "I didn't say you did, silly." She said "I know, I was just talking to myself.''

§ Driving in the car, listening to music: I asked Emma, “did you like that part?” she said, very politely: “I’m busy right now, Mama,” while playing the keychain-flute to the music.

§ 8/1/02: I was sitting at the computer, and heard “MOMMY!” (I had just put Emma to bed, she had said her prayers, I gave her kisses and hugs, I turned on her music and turned off the lights…). I opened the door, and said “WHAT…” in that “what-in-the-world-could-you-possibly-want-now” voice, and she says (are you ready for this?) “my kiss is coming off.” I turned on the light, and said “What?” again (the voice was different this time), and she said “my kiss is coming off” and pointed to her cheek where I had just kissed her. Of course I went over and gave her another kiss… (and of course I won’t go for that twice in one night…)

§ 7/25/02: “Mama, you’re so proud to me!”

§ 7/25/02: She wanted more cereal: “I want some out with [without] milk.”

§ 7/23/02 Emma did a somersault (kind of), and said to watch her while she did a “tatersauce”.

§ Another 7/23/02: (in the car) Rachel was making faces and opening and closing her mouth, Emma thought it was funny. I said, “Don’t you have a cute little sister?” And Emma said, “Yeah…I miss her.” I said, “She’s sitting right beside you!” And she said, “No…I missed her when she was in your tummy!”

§ 7/12/02: My friend Angela was over with her daughter Sarah. Emma and Sarah were playing by Rachel’s saucer with her in it – I saw Emma wave Sarah away – when I told Em to be nice and share, she said, “She was trying to take my bottom off!” (or "taking my bottom off") … we laughed so hard. She had her swimsuit on, so we figured maybe Sarah pulled on it or even just touched it?? It was so funny.

§ After leaving a friend’s house or somewhere she’s been playing with friends or grandparents, Emma says “Mama, I didn’t have very much fun!” Translation: I didn’t have enough fun. (The first time we heard her say that it took us a little while to understand what she meant, but we got it after she would say something else like "I need to have more fun".)

§ In the car, just getting off the blue bridge toward Kennewick:
Emma: Mama, where are we? Are we on the bridge?
Mama: We just got off the big bridge, and now we’re on a little bridge.
Emma: Oh, is it a little baby bridge? Can I hold her?

§ Parting Emma’s hair for ponytails (pigtails) I told her I needed to make a straight line. She said, "Don’t make a line, I’m not a grocery store." (NO LIES!! She really said this)

§ After I gave her some gum – Daddy was getting her out of the car for church and she says “Daddy, I got some gum!! I’m so yucky!!” (lucky, l’s = y’s)
p.s. we *still* say this, all the time. "I'm so yucky."

§ After she was tucked in to bed one night she came back out in the hallway and asked me to “give her a favorite”. I told her to get back in bed and she said, “No, will you give me a FAVORITE”. So I realized she meant ‘do her a favor’ – so she said, "Yeah, Mama, give me a favor – get me a drink of water.”

§ While driving on the freeway on a very windy day: “Stop driving crazy, Mama. I’m trying to read.”

§ Other times Emma used to be concerned that we would "fall off the road" while we were driving places. "Mama, don't fall off the road!" I'm not sure where she got this, or maybe she remembered a time when we were on a mountain road on a hill, so there was the possibility of "falling off"? Funny.

§ Emma, when told she needed to take some medicine: "I just like the grape kind. I don’t like the icky kind, it’s gross and dangerous.”

No comments:

Post a Comment