Sunday, October 03, 2010

Trials

I had a friend ask me a question today:

"Hey, I saw you tearing up while [a person in church] was talking about cancer, and I got a little concerned.  Is everything ok?"

How sweet of them to ask. That's what friends are for. Well, it wasn't the cancer topic so much as one of the things he said about it. He referred us to an article he had read by John Piper. I will link to the article at the end of the post. But basically, the gist was how we look at our trials. Do we look at them as a blessing or a curse? Are they ways we can glorify God or are they "one more thing to complain about"? I guess I realized just how thankful I am to God for what I have, for the trials that He has brought me though, and for the ones I don't have to go through right now. However, I know that any trial could be thrust upon me at any given time. I'm so very thankful for God's grace in my life. I pray that when I face trials (the "small" daily ones and the large ones as well), I will fully put my entire trust in God to bring me through it. Complete dependency on Him.

After he talked about that idea, we sang a song that I love - In Christ Alone. Without fail, I always tear up when we sing

"No power of hell, no scheme of man... could ever pluck me from His hand..."

Because those two things are our battles here (in this life). Often it's not directly satan or the forces of evil on this earth, it's also the schemes of man. Those schemes probably could be attributed to satan, but we don't always need to give him all the credit - sin [or our sinful nature] gets credit enough. And the schemes of man are not always meant to be schemes, often they are meant with good intentions. Many people know full well what I mean. You've been hurt by people, sometimes intentional, but very many times not intentional. And no matter the intention, it still hurts and it's still hard to deal with. But God is our Ultimate Healer. He is able to reconcile relationships, to heal physical and emotional wounds, by the power of the blood of Christ. Praise the Lord!!

Anyway, back to the song, I can rarely sing that line - start that line - and be able to finish it. I guess I'm so grateful for God's hand of mercy that always saves me from those two things.

So here are the song lyrics and the link to the article that was mentioned today by two people. Which means to me that it's important enough for me to remember.



Hope it helps you to remember too.




Note: This article can have meaning for anyone; not just cancer victims. Replace "cancer" for whatever trial you are going through. God allows us these trials so that we will depend on *only* Him for our way through it. He alone is our help and our shield.  (Psalm 33:20-22)



John Piper article: Don't waste your cancer





In Christ Alone

In Christ alone my hope is found
He is my light, my strength, my song
This Cornerstone, this solid ground
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm
What heights of love, what depths of peace
When fears are stilled, when strivings cease
My Comforter, my All in All
Here in the love of Christ I stand

In Christ alone, who took on flesh
Fullness of God in helpless babe
This gift of love and righteousness
Scorned by the ones He came to save
'Till on that cross as Jesus died
The wrath of God was satisfied
For every sin on Him was laid
Here in the death of Christ I live

There in the ground His body lay
Light of the world by darkness slain
Then bursting forth in glorious Day
Up from the grave He rose again
And as He stands in victory
Sin's curse has lost it's grip on me
For I am His and He is mine
Brought with the precious blood of Christ

No guilt in life, no fear in death
This is the power of Christ in me
From life's first cry to final breath
Jesus commands my destiny
No power of hell, no scheme of man
Can ever pluck me from His hand
'Till He returns or calls me home
Here in the power of Christ I'll stand

No comments:

Post a Comment